This unit is mainly based on 3 videos, Marian Guga, Chinar Najeeb, Maron Ehata. At the end of the videos the speakers put forward their suggestions for improving services. The final two units in this module will discuss practical approaches to reducing barriers in more detail.
Before watching the video, it is important to think about your own area of work.
Make a note of your responses to the following questions for your locality. You may want to add to these notes as you watch the video. You can use the pause button on the screen if necessary.
- Who are the different migrant groups living in my area and what status do they have?
- What do people from migrant communities know about my service and where do they get their information from?
- How did the following impact on our working relationship?:
- Their personal experiences in their own countries?
- The systems migrants face in the UK?
- The media and community reactions?
- The knowledge my service has of the above?
The Culturagram (Congress, 2007) was developed as a family assessment tool for migrant families.
The framework itself is useful to remind us of the complexity of migrants’ barriers to healthcare. Add to this FINANCE, UNDERSTANDING OF SYSTEMS IN THE UK and the SYSTEMS THEMSELVES to increase relevance.